Lawyer sues travel agent for £1,567. Now you can too.

Travelling can be an experience fraught with risk. Away from the safety of your native city, you can fall prey to injuries, theft, and other more serious crimes while travelling. Accidents are also common when travelling abroad. One report shows over 280,000 A&E treatment cases, and 83,000 hospital admissions among tourists in the EU alone.

An injury or an accident while travelling can be a frightening experience for anybody, especially when travelling abroad. Being in a foreign country where you cannot count on help from friends and relatives can be a traumatic experience. Besides sullying the travel experience, it can also impact your ability to work and disrupt your everyday life.

If you find yourself the victim of an injury or accident while travelling, you may be able to claim holiday compensation from your insurance provider. Below, you’ll learn how to go about making a holiday compensation claim:

Filing Holiday Compensation Claims for Accidents and Injuries Abroad

According to the Package Travel Regulations of 1992, British citizens can file a compensation claim even if they received the injury abroad. The range of accidents and injuries covered includes:

• Accident while travelling in tour vehicle.
• Injuries and illness sustained from contaminated food.
• Injuries suffered from slipping, tripping, and falling in hotel room.
• Injuries sustained from faulty flooring, tripping, etc. in tourist attraction.

You will need documentary proof of the travel abroad, including receipts for hotel stay and plane tickets. If possible, you should also have proof of the hospital visit or any other documentary proof confirming the date and location of the injury. If you sustained the injury during a tour, you should ideally have receipts for the tour guide as well. You should also inform your tour guide, hotel manager, or any person concerned with the injury about the mishap as soon as possible. Essentially, any documents you can provide proving the location and date of the injury will be more than welcome.

Once you have all the documentary proof of the injury, you can get in touch with a solicitor with prior experience in dealing with personal injury and holiday compensation claims. If you act fast enough, you may be able to receive compensation from the concerned tour operator, hotel, or tourism agency while you’re still in the foreign country itself.

Besides accidents and injuries, you can also claim compensation for inadequate services. Hotels and tours are often not as advertised in brochures or promised by travel agencies. In such cases, you can file a case with your solicitor and get compensation for any loss or disruption incurred due to the false advertising.

Some claims need to be brought to the country where the incident took place, after recent changes to European law following a ruling in a 2009 case. In most cases, however claims cases can be settled in England under English law. It is best to consult with your solicitor to know the best place to bring your claims case.

The cost of filing a compensation claim varies from case to case and solicitor to solicitor. Most solicitors offer a free consultation and will guide you to the next steps in filing your claim. The cost of filing the claim can usually be recovered through your insurance policy. The solicitor’s office should be able to supply you with details for the same.

The total value of the compensation will depend on the extent of your injury and if it has affected your ability to work and seek gainful employment. Cases where the injury affected the claimant’s daily life usually receive higher compensation.

Written by Thomas Edwards who has been an international traveller since the early ‘80s and has widely covered Europe, the USA and as far afield as Thailand, Hong Kong and China. He has written as both a business, individual and family traveller and a language or two has given him the opportunity to engage with people to a greater degree.